Wednesday, 18 January 2012

the one where I hear the good news.

So originally I'd thought that I'd be getting the news of an offer (if there was one at all) at 9am today, however when I double checked the website it told me that I'd have to wait an extra twelve hours before I found out the news that could make or break the plans that I had prematurely made for this year. I was meant to be going shopping with my mum today but got a phone call asking me to work. I couldn't decline as I really need the money at the moment until things settle down around here. So off I went to work another 8 hours with the gorgeous 3-5 year olds that I'd played with yesterday.

Today was different, I felt more at ease and more willing to take control of the situations in the room and I think (and hope) that by doing this I will slowly gain the respect of these children and they will learn to listen to me and respect the boundaries I put in place. it was fun!! I had a blast today remembering all the songs and games I used to sing and play. The most enjoyable part was playing 'What's the time Mr Wolf?' with the children. They seemed so thrilled at the idea of something different, something special that they hadn't done in a long time from what I could tell. The smiles on the faces and the excitement in their voices is reward enough.

Afterwards I headed down to the beach for some relaxing fish and chips and to watch some fire twirling while eating ice cream. I was spending time with my family and some close friends. It was getting closer to the time when I would find out my news and I was about to head home to log on when my dad asked if I could access the offers while I was out (the joys of technology and the modern era). I decided I'd check out the site and have a look. It was 15 minutes early but who knows maybe they were opening it up a little early to try to prevent a clogged server? Sure enough when I logged on there was my offer waiting for me. My heart stopped beating and I held my breath. I read carefully to ensure I had gotten in to my first preference. A smile spread across my face as I murmured the words "I got in".

No words can describe that feeling the relief that washed over me, the sense of pride I had for being 'offered' a position! After telling my family I text my good friend JC to let him know, he was waiting to find out if he got into his preferred course as well (which he did), it was still well before 9pm so he was surprised I knew already and asked me how, I told him to hurry up and check! I continued to let those nearest to me know of the good news and a plethora of congratulations and well wishes headed my way.

I headed home to accept my offer and to begin my enrollment process. The thrill of embarking on this new journey was not lost on me and it still has not become real to me. I'm going to uni this year, I'm making my dreams a reality. This is my time and I hope that I make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment