Wednesday, 28 November 2012

The start of my little garden..





 A few months ago I wandered off to the local nursery and picked up half a dozen little flowering plants to pretty up my backyard. They were inexpensive and easy to plant which is exactly what I needed. I am not a green thumb, I tend to kill plants rather than nurture them, so this little project of mine was, in most people's mind, destined for failure.

I am pleased to announce that my little garden has grown and flourished even under the harshness of the Australian sun and our scorching hot days. I have always loved the thought of picking fresh herbs, veggies and even flowers from my garden, but I just didn't think I had it in me.

Now that I know that I am not ALWAYS going to kill these poor plants, I decided to start up my own little veggie/herb patch. I have in the past (thanks to Pinterest) researched the different types of gardens I could have but all options looked daunting, time-consuming and expensive. I visited a friend a few weeks ago and noticed her thriving little veggie patch. It wasn't a conventional garden, but each plant was in a bag, a special bag for veggies and herbs. It seemed like such a perfect idea. It has handles so it is portable to ensure it has the right amount of sun, they were inexpensive and not at all time consuming.

I had to get my hands on some of those babies. At the time I was extremely busy with final exams at uni, so I decided to wait until they were over and I had time I could devote to caring for my little plants. Last week I jumped online and ordered these "vegie bags". They arrived yesterday and today I decided to give them a go. I've planted Sweet Basil and Baby Spinach, two items I know I will eat. I plan to venture into lettuce and tomatoes and possibly even strawberries, but for the time being these two will keep me busy and give me a taste (no pun intended) of what it is like to grow my own.

I am excited!
P.S. they look like they are wilting, but I just watered them and they kinda just fell like that. I don't mean to pretend I know what I am talking about, but I think they will spring back up again... I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment